Friday, September 18, 2015

Friday Firsts (Friday Five)

"I'm on a vacation week and in between trips, so it's a good time for a Friday Five from Julie:

This is my very first Friday Five!

Well, actually, that’s not entirely true, I did a guest spot a couple years ago. But, I’m going to be the new third Friday Gal for the next wee while.

 So, I thought we could talk about some firsts this Friday. I have just returned from my annual holiday, and this year’s was very much family oriented. My beloved’s older son lives in Boston, my middle son lives in North Vancouver (between us we have 7 grown up children) so we travelled all the way from Scotland to visit with them, and each was a first time visit. While in Boston we spent some quality time with our granddaughter… Our first!


Play here in the comments, or on your blog, five of your firsts, here are some ideas to get you started. Don’t forget to post a link when you play!"

1. Can you remember the first time you travelled a long way to meet someone special?

I can't!  My extended family and their friends all lived in the same general area when I was growing up, so when we traveled, it was to visit other places, not other people, and to go far away to school.

 2. Share a memory of a first visit to a new country, state or place that was unexpected or unusual.


My grandmother took me on a number of marvelous trips, the first one being to Williamsburg for a week when I was ten and in fifth grade.  It was a great surprise to stop by her house on the way home from school, as I did every afternoon, and discover a large white invitation awaiting me, inviting me to accompany her on an overnight train trip and then for a week visiting the sites of the history that so fascinated me!

 3. What is the first thing you do on waking each day? Is it always the same?


Other than the necessities of life . . . I try to get out and walk first thing every day.  If it's a relaxed kind of day, I indulge myself in reading before I'm even out of bed.

 4. Have you met up with other RevGals? Maybe at an event?


The first RevGal I met was a seminary classmate ~ back when we were all anonymous, she heard me talking over lunch about a blog post, and said "You're on RevGals!" Yikes!  Since then, I have met many others, most recently a group at Fthe estival of Homiletics in Denver  in May and then a group of UCC RGs at their annual meeting here in Cleveland this past summer.

 5. Is this your first Friday Five? If not, can you remember the first time you played?


No IDEA when the first one was.  I'm a pretty erratic player . . .

1 comment:

  1. Grandmothers often are the very best, and provide best memories, too. Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete